It’s an honor to be chosen as a Maid of Honor or Best Man but the job of giving a toast at the wedding may be a daunting task. Especially if you have never given a toast before or have a touch of stage fright. We have compiled a list of the top five tips for writing and giving a top notch wedding toast.
1. Start and end strong. Start off your toast by saying who are and how you know the bride or groom. Be confident and create your speech like you would a story. End your toast with asking guests to raise their glasses to toast the happy couple
2. Be Yourself! If you aren’t normally a funny person don’t try to be. Just tell a sweet story instead of a list of jokes. As long as you are sincere guests will love it just as much as a funny toast.
3. Keep it short and sweet. Don’t tell long drawn out stories about when you were kids. That’s normally when guests start to tune you out. Guests love to hear personal stories just keep them current and short.
4. Practice!! Practice really does make your toast sound better. Don’t try to wing it on the wedding day. A great tip is to have an outline of talking points to help you remember. Don’t read your entire speech word for word or it won’t sound sincere.
5. Keep it Classy! Try not to drink too much before the toast to relieve nerves. Also, try to contain your emotions. Don’t cry too much where guests can’t understand what you are saying or laugh at your jokes when they may not be that funny. Make sure you don’t bring up sex or exes. When in doubt leave it out.
Do you have any advice to add to this list?
We want to hear about it!